Friday, September 11, 2009

Pat Parelli Made Me Do It..


"Good, better, best, never let it rest, get your good better and your better best!" Pat often likes to repeat this quote from George Burns. I guess that I've heard it so often that it finally sunk in.

When heard that my community's summer musical production was going to be, "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," I thought, "if only.." Followed by, "why not??"!

I've never done *anything* like this before in my life - not even in school. But, I love musicals and had always wished that I had tried out for my university's production of "Hair" years ago. Regret is a hard thing to live with and I resolved not to let it get me this time.

The first huge hurdle was the audition. I had to sing a prepared show tune, solo, in front of a panel of judges (I chose the song "Frank Mills" from "Hair"). Eeeeeek! Then I had to do a reading, and then dance a little routine that they taught me. When it was over, I swear that I felt such a rush that I wanted to go back and do it again!

I would have been happy with myself for just surviving the audition, but even better, I was cast in the adult choir. My roles included: one of Jacob's wives, an Egyptian, and a GO-GO Dancer! Dig me in the purple go-go boots & flower-power dress. :-)

This was one of the most incredible and empowering experiences of my life. We played 8 performances to full houses. We even turned about 30 people away at our final show! I was onstage singing most of the time. What made it even more fun was that my son got to be in the production too.

I will never forget this summer - thank you, Pat Parelli!

2 comments:

Savvy Horse Girl said...

Hi Clare--I am so pleased that you shared this. The photos are great too. I am pround of you and very happy for you too!

So what is the next production?

-Michelle/arabhorselover1

Unknown said...

Whoo hoo!!! Lookie YOU!!
Great boots! (And nice dress, too!)
I like the 'peasant'look, also.
I wish I could have seen it!!!
Did Jennifer take any footage?
Juliet