Monday, March 2, 2009

20 Questions

Here are a series of 20 great questions posed on the Daily Parelli blog from 2/18/09. I discovered them on the Horsegirl on a Journey blog where the author had taken the time to answer them. I thought that I ought to give it a whirl myself! Here goes:

What is your Ultimate Goal with horses?
(hint: Write it down; extra-credit hint: write down answers to all of these questions)

My Ultimate Goal is to develop a seamless relationship with my horse partner, Guinness. I want him to trust that I'll cover his back, and I want to trust that he will cover mine. I want to finally get past "developing a relationship" (where I've been stuck with Smokey, my RBI) and move forward into exploring the world together, challenging ourselves, and having fun. I would love us to try things like distance riding/camping, Ride & Tie, endurance, and competitive trail. We'll have to find out what we enjoy best!

What is a step toward that goal that you could achieve within ten years?

Possibly all of this..

What is a step toward that goal that you could achieve within five years?

I'd like us to get through the Level 4 tasks in all four Savvys, to be sure that there are no "gaps" on our training, and to be prepared for whatever the wide world offers us.

What is a step toward that goal or a lesser goal that you could achieve within two years?

I would love to attend a Carol Coppinger camp, and be priveleged to spend more than a two-day stretch of time "alone" with my horse.

What is a step toward that goal that you could achieve within one year?

I would like Guinness and I to fully participate in Carol's advanced L1/2 clinic in Bristol next spring (just a bit over a year from now). He will be three years old then. Is this realistic? I believe so..

What is a step toward that goal or a lesser goal that you could achieve within six months?

To get Guinness "under saddle." I'd like him to feel confident about being tacked up and mounted. And I'd like us to feel good about walking forward, backing, lateral flexion, and sideways.

What is a step toward that goal that you could achieve within three months?

Continue to develop his trust and confidence in me. Play with all of the L1/L2 patterns. Play extreme Friendly Game. Be comfortable laying all over him without restraining him except with a slack lead rope/halter (in a confined area). Get our new permanent "play pen" installed. Be confident hauling short distances alone in the trailer. Attend play dates with other horses, but without his herdmates. I'd like to be in condition to run in a 5K. Ride Cody and/or Smokey enough to feel confidence in my seat. (June 1)

What is a step toward that goal or a lesser goal that you could achieve within one month?

Diligently play all of the L1 patterns to get them in our heads. Play the Seven Games with various objects. Desensitive Guinness to bikes. Work on getting myself back into shape (minimize carbs, strength & balance training)! Return to regular gym attendance. Ride Cody &/or Smokey at a walk around the farm. (April 1)

What is a step toward that goal that you could achieve within two weeks?

Haul Guinness over to Canterbury Farm along with Smokey for companionship. Play whatever games we can while there. Sit on Cody &/or Smokey. (March 15)

What is a step toward that goal or a lesser goal that you could achieve within one week?

Practice the L1 patterns during three sessions. Breeze through all of the Seven Games while attentively feeling and manipulating the energy between us. Practice Friendly Game with the trailer. Load Cody with Guinness. Trim Guinness' hooves for the first time myself. Attend a Weight Watchers meeting next weekend.

What action could you take toward that goal within three days?

At least one practice session, plus undemanding time. Continue to implement bits of the Seven Games at feeding time. Load him onto and off of the trailer without moving it. Hit the gym!

What action could you take toward that goal tomorrow?

Take the time to go hang out and perhaps to play a bit. Do my new ball workout in my living room.

What action could you take toward that goal today?

Finish up this blog and get to sleep. :-)

What action could you take toward that goal right now?

Answer the remaining questions.

What information could you acquire that would improve your chances of achieving your goal?

I need to watch the first ride segments on the Savvy Club website. Otherwise, I have loads of resources.

What's stopping you?

Time (overly busy schedule), other committments and priorities (schooling my child, keeping up with our business), history of "feeling like a failure" and "lack of fun" with Smokey over the past five years. A hesitation to put things that I "should be doing" down and to allow myself to head down to the barn. A little bit of fear of getting dumped (from my wreck with Parlay over a year ago) - even though I'm hardly ever riding!

Really?

Yes. Mostly hesitation born of fear, and lack of time as a result of inadequate time management and commitment. To overcome this hesitation (a brace in *my* body), we need to focus on developing our trust, confidence and fun together. And, I need to implement more patterns (routines) in my daily life!!

Do you see how easy it is to make a plan? Now, here's the toughest question of all: Once you have a plan...Are you willing to change it if you need to?

Changing is easy. Sticking with it is difficult! Adaptation without abandonment is what is needed..

Did you count to see if there were actually 20 questions?
Nope. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Clare--

Thanks for your note on my blog. Mattie is a TWH grade mare who is four gaited. I've been doing some basic dressage training with her in the summer and lots of ground work in the winter. The clicker training seems to be moving things along!

I'll keep checking in. Can I post a link to your blog on Mattie's Pillow?

--Cindy