This past year has been a very busy one for him. He has grown approximately 1 inch to about 14. 3 hh. He has gained 95 or so pounds and now weighs roughly 770 lbs. (In contrast, Smokey weighs around 900, Cody weighs over 1000 lbs.) Dr. Lamb gave him a "perfect 5" body condition score when she administered fall shots the other day.
Here is a current photo of him standing tied, watching the horse girls playing in the roundpen. Note that he is wearing a bit/bridle and standing quietly. Soon after this photo was taken, he got himself loose and tiptoed up behind us to join the fun.
In comparison, here is a photo of him taken last winter. I think that now his forehand and topline look much more substantial. And his main is noticeably longer. ;-)
Milestones reached during this past year together include:
- 11/21/08: His first long-distance trip in a trailer, first blanket
- 3/7: First trip to a friend's farm
- 5/1: First bath
- 6/13: First trail obstacle competition
- 7/4: First parade
- 7/20: First time mounted
- 8/15: First ride
- 8/17: First visit to Fair
- 9/1: First ponied
- 9/7: First mounted playdate
- 9/14: First solo trail walk
- 11/2: First ride with saddle
- 11/15: First trail "ride" (10 minutes max.)
Next year, we are planning to participate in two clinics: one with Kelly Sigler at the end of April, and another with Carol Coppinger in mid-May. In preparation for these clinics, in January & February I'll be practicing walk-trot-canter at a nearby riding stable (in a lovely covered arena). I'm also planning to take advantage of 1-star instructor Alyssa Elliot's on-line tutelage, and Sierra's "body centered riding" expertise.
My goals for Guinness & I for 2010 include:
- walk-trot-gait-canter calmly under saddle
- official Rocky Mountain Horse "Certification"
- two Parelli Natural Horsemanship clinics in the spring
- official Level 2 PNH assessment (online & freestyle)
- riding in the July 4th parade
- competing in the local fair (halter & trail class)
- light trail riding
This last photo is of Guinness on the day that I first met him. :-)