Thursday, June 4, 2009

More Progress

I forgot to post that about a week and a half ago, I took Cody for a trailride/walk along with one other horse and 4 walkers. He really enjoyed himself, despite the chaos in the parking area (due to the closure of one of the parking lots).

Yesterday, I took him back to the pond by himself. My son came along on his bike to keep us company. The parking lot was pretty empty except for a lone school bus. Pretty soon after we unloaded, about 50 school kids appeared out of the woods! Cody took it all very well. I discouraged the kids from interacting with him (to the relief of the teachers) just in case..

I led him from the parking area for about 1/8 mile, then rode for a bit, and then led him back into the parking lot. He only called a few times, but since there were no other horses, he gave up. He definitely wants to become a trail horse, but he is still tripping a bit. We'll have to wait to see how his hooves/joints hold up. (He is club footed on both front feet with contracted heels, also he has some ringbone in both front pastern joints.)

Meanwhile, yesterday I was alternately leading Guinness backward and sending him forward from zone 5 AT LIBERTY! Plus, I got him to lay down with me in the corral.

Here are some photos of me with Guinness from a few weeks ago, plus one of Cody's hoof and another of Cody sleeping (snoring).

2 comments:

Horsegirl on a Journey said...

I just replied to your comment on my blog (which somehow got stuck in a spam filter, sorry about that) and then realized I should leave it on YOUR blog so you see it. LOL.

--
Clare, your Cody has the same coloring as Parker! I’ve never seen a horse that color – I have been calling it ‘chocolate palomino’ though I don’t know if that’s correct. I either read it somewhere or made it up in a dream … LOL I’ve added your blog to my sidebar so I can keep up with your journey too. I certainly learned a lot from those two lessons with Parker and will keep tabs on your Rocky Mountains now too. Hehehe.

Savvy Horse Girl said...

Oh my gosh! I hadn't seen these photos! How wonderful, Clare.