Online Level 2 Try using a feather-light line or the equivalent to prevent "noise" in the line
We should be able to knock these two tasks right out:
- Teach horse to stand on 3 legs (hold each leg up for 30 seconds)
- YoYo back and forth from Zone 3 practice stick-to-me
- Figure 8
- Move sideways keep feet still
- Sideways without fence
- Circling 2 – 4 laps without breaking gait at both walk & trot
- Circling 4 – 6 laps trot/canter
- Circling with obstacles and maintain gait at a trot
- Traveling circles
- Passenger Lesson at trot
We are ready to play with this NOW! I'd like to do this in Julie's small arena the first time and work up to doing it in my back field. Even if he canters a bit, he is so "short" that I should survive.. This is mostly about MY confidence, 'cause I don't intend to use the reins!!
- Circle with Casual Rein, 4 laps at walk and trot
Should be a cinch after mastering circles online, but need to exit the roundpen for trotting.
- Sideways 20’ facing a fence
Practice traveling up to 20' feet with subtle cues.
- Freestyle patterns: FTR, Fig.-8, Weave, Transitions, Question Box, Obstacles
I have a vision of creating a Question Box in the center of my roundpen and leaving both gates open. This would allow us to ride within the roundpen, just outside the perimeter of the roundpen, and in large loops from one entrance to the other. I have plenty of barrels, logs, poles, etc. to provide variation & amusement - I just need to take the time to set them up. Our practice with this will probably be at the walk/trot due to the likelihood of slippery footing. When the roads are ok, I could haul to a friend's place with a large outdoor arena and firm parking area.
We have 4 months to prepare, but they tend to be rainy/cold months, so it will take perseverance. Michelle's husband gave me advice about lighting my roundpen/back field with two 500 watt halogen fixtures mounted to the rail of my deck, which should help a ton. Thanks, Rick!
I should probably plan to enroll in "lessons" at my local indoor arena in Feb/March, just to have a back-up place once per week to practice (provided that the roads are passible).
Time to git 'er done.